Job Title: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full Time Exempt
Reports to: Board of Directors
Salary: $65,000 plus $500 monthly health stipend via HSA payment.
The Board of Directors for the Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries has begun its search for an executive director.
The Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries (FMCFL) believes in the power of libraries to enrich and change the lives of Monterey County residents, each of whom deserves equal access to information that will open windows to a larger world. FMCFL’s mission is to assure and accelerate the mission of the MCFL system by providing resources and outreach.
The Executive Director (ED) will:
• provide leadership and direction in overseeing the strategic plan and the operations of the organization in support of the library foundation’s vision and goals.
• support to the Board of Directors in developing organizational goals; attaining, allocating, and managing resources; and establishing policies, and
• represent and present the organization and its vision to the community and stakeholders.
• support the organization’s vision and principles;
• maintain close collaboration with the county library department to develop funding and outreach strategies in support of library program offerings;
• establish and monitor adherence to policies and procedures.
• collaborate to ensure the annual budget is funded and the organization has adequate cash flow;
• develop strategic plans to generate revenue through a variety of fundraising techniques; identify, cultivate, and solicit donors, including individuals, foundations, businesses and corporations; develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors; oversee planning and implementation of the foundation’s annual fundraiser, Words & Wine, and other special events.
• develop, implement, and monitor the annual budget in collaboration with the Finance Committee and the Board;
• implement administrative and operational systems to support effective operations and internal controls;
• provide guidance, feedback, and opportunities for training and professional development.
• ensure Foundation complies with all applicable laws and regulations, facilities planning and management, and insurance and risk management;
• work with the Board in refining the strategic plan; identify and evaluate opportunities for improving and implementing the plan (Strategic Planning);
• increase visibility and awareness of the Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries’ work and maintain public trust (Marketing and Public Relations);
• identify prospective Board members; support effective Board roles and functioning; provide Board committees with the information and support necessary to fulfill their objectives (Board Development);
• ensure that the technology and information management systems are current and effective; propose upgrades as needed (Technology);
• assign additional special projects to the Board, if necessary (Additional Responsibilities).
Through creation and maintenance of strategic partnerships with educators, and other community partners and stakeholders, develop opportunities to increase the visibility of library programs and offerings throughout the county. Research and pursue opportunities to receive and grow grants portfolio. Create and implement new strategies to increase reach and impact.
• Internal: Maintain positive and productive contact with the Board of Directors, library staff, vendors, and volunteers;
• External: Maintain positive and productive contact with current and potential donors, community groups, related organizations, and others as required;
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of managing not-for-profit organizations, including resource management and fund development;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement effective operations: program management, team building, resource and financial management;
- Experience with program impact assessment and evaluation;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the Board of Directors, library staff, community organizations, and other related agencies and community leaders;
- Strong Leadership skills including negotiation, problem solving, and decision making;
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially a positive, resourceful attitude and a sense of humor;
- Ability to use word processing, spread sheets, databases, social media and email;
- Valid driver’s license.
- A minimum of three years’ experience as an Executive Director or managing programs or operations in a not-for-profit organization or equivalent experience;
- Background in event planning;
- Knowledge of grant writing.
This position is at the Foundation for Monterey County Free Libraries office located in Salinas, CA. Some remote work optional. Salary commensurate with experience up to $65,000/year plus a monthly $500 health stipend via HSA. Relocation compensation is not available. To apply, email a cover letter and resume with at least two references with their contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org